Wednesday, October 23, 2002

My 100 things about me- Third 20
41. I'm wondering when Nihil Obstat is going to find this blog.
42. I also wonder whether or not Nihil Obstat will correct one's Elvish as well as one's English.
43. I'm a bit sad that the Sindarin Dictionary Project's searchable dictionary is down.
44. The notice says it should be up again in September. I just hope they are just running a bit late, and they don't mean September 2003.
45. I know someone who is writing a "Middle-earth cookbook."
46. I like her, but she has some ideas about Tolkien which I think are a trifle odd.
47. On the other hand, her lembas is delicious.
48. My own 'cooking skills' are limited to heating up precooked stuff and making toast.
49. I miss the honey barbeque sauce at C.J. Barney's.
50. Favorite hymn: "Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence"
51. I'm also fond of "Firmly I Believe and Truly" and "Praise to the Holiest in the Height", for an obvious reason !
52. I found out that Thomas Carlyle is not to be trusted the hard way. I was assigned to write a paper on Oliver Cromwell in college. I saw Carlyle's biography and thought, "Hey, he's a famous author, right ? I'll read his book, since I have to write this paper anyway." I read it. Fortunately, I also read another biography of Cromwell which lets you in on some stuff Carlyle skips..like the fact that the man ordered massacres of women and children in Ireland, and sundry other unsavory points. From Carlyle's book, you'd think the man was a saint.
53. I believe it was Carlyle who denigrated the Venerable Newman as having the intellect of 'a moderately-sized rabbit.' When I read that quote, (in a much later college class) I remember thinking, "At least Newman didn't have the gall to do a haigiographical book on Torquemada."
54. Actually, I believe comparing Cromwell to Torquemada is unfair to the latter.
55. I have come to All Saints Day parties as the following:
St. Jeanne D'arc
St. Margaret Clitherow
Blessed Margaret Pole
St. Perpetua
St. Winifred
Blessed Julian of Norwich
56. My friend Kate calls me 'Julian' because I was dressed as Blessed Julian when we met.
57. Favorite magazine : First Things
58. I like icons, and even icon-style painting of more modern provenance.
59. One of the reasons is because Eastern-style angels don't look like pretty teenaged girls with wings.
60. I think this is one of the most glorious quotes ever....
"I put before you the one great thing to love on earth:the Blessed Sacrament.... There you will find romance, glory, honour, fidelity, and the true way of all your loves upon earth, and more than that: Death, by the divine paradox, that which ends life and demands the surrender of all, and yet, by the taste (or foretaste) of which alone can what you seek in your earthly relationships (love, faithfulness, joy) be maintained, or take on that complexion of reality, of eternal endurance, which every man's heart desires."
J.R.R. Tolkien, to Michael Tolkien, March 8, 1941, The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home