Tuesday, November 12, 2002

Odd little idea....
The amazing Mark Shea began to use the Tolkienean term 'servants of the Lidless Eye" for the Radtrad crowd. Today I was letting my mind wander while I rode the bus, and I began to ponder: what term could we use for the other crowd... the relativist, new morality folks ?
Bits from a particular speech jumped into my head:
'The Elder Days are gone. The Middle Days are passing. The Younger Days are beginning... our time is at hand...But we must have power, power to order all things as we will, for that good which only the Wise can see.... We can bide our time, we can keep our thoughts in our hearts, deploring maybe evils done by the way, but approving the high and ultimate purpose...There need not be, there would not be, any real change in our designs, only in our means.'
('The Council of Elrond', The Fellowship of the Ring)
These are the words of the traitorious Wizard, Saruman, saying, in more modern terms, that fighting evil is hopeless and we need to compromise with it, that new times call for a new morality, that maybe evil things will happen but they aren't really evil as long as we finally reach our goal. In other words, what is known now as 'relativism'.
Therefore I am proposing 'the servants of the White Hand' as a Tolkienian descriptive for the Call to Action folks and such. Does that sound too weird ? It makes sense to me, but I haven't got a clue whether anybody else will get it. Ah, well, I'll toss it out here anyhow. What's a blog for if not to throw out odd ideas sometimes ?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home