Sunday, November 10, 2002

On Pro-Life Voting
I'd like to reiterate some things I said in my "One Hundred Things About Me" posts.
"12. I absolutely, positively WILL NOT vote for anybody who supports the 'right' to dismember babies.
13. I have voted third party in the past when no pro-life candidate was on a major party ticket.
14. I have skipped voting in a particular race when no pro-life candidate was available at all."
Part of my reasoning is simple. People who support abortion on demand are for legalized slaughter of utterly innocent children. I would no more trust such a person with public office than I would trust a Nazi. Their very position on this issue makes their character, and thus their fitness for public office, so dubious in my eyes that I couldn't possibly make myself vote for them. I'm not claiming that this is the official teaching of the Church, or that people for whom other issues matter more than they do for me are completely off base. It's just that I cannot in good conscience vote for someone who favors abortion. I know that makes it easy for me to be accused of being simplistic, one-issue, or what have you, but it's where I draw the line. ( I include support for legalized euthanasia as well as abortion. Again, it's a disqualifying issue for me.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home