Saturday, January 04, 2003

Joyous note....and an odd little grouse..
Tommorow is the day when we, in the US, celebrate the Epiphany of the Lord. That means that Vespers with Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament starts up again tommorow evening . Yes !
If it were not Sunday, it would be the feast of a saint I'm afraid I have somewhat mixed feelings about: Saint John Nepomucene Neumann . I don't have a problem with his life or anything, just his name. People will mispronounce it, you see. The saint had a German father. Therefore his surname, would, properly, be pronounced "Noy-mann", I believe. However, in our English-speaking sloppiness it is common to anglicize it as "Noo-man".... and herein lies my problem. I've lost track of the number of times I've had to explain, "no, Venerable Newman is not the saint who lived in Philadelphia...." Once, I even came across a website on the saints which had information on the two men hopelessly conflated. Arrrgh!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home