Sunday, December 22, 2002

Gee...
I post a Tolkien quote on Saturday and it gets quoted on two other blogs, one of which is in Spanish. The Blogosphere is amazing.
I would recommend The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien to anyone, of course. Not only do many have information on the Third Age of Middle-earth which is not contained elsewhere, but they reveal a man who had some interesting things to say about other subjects as well, from language to war to the Faith. To me, perhaps the most moving one is a letter he wrote to his son Christopher after the death of his wife Edith.
"I have at last got busy about Mummy's grave... The inscription I should like is :
EDITH MARY TOLKIEN
1889-1971
Lúthien
; brief and jejune, except for Lúthien , which says more for me than a multitude of words; for she was (and knew she was) my Lúthien." J.R.R. Tolkien to Christopher Tolkien, July 11, 1972.

It was done , of course. (The emblems are those of Lúthien and Beren, and were placed there for a special occasion.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home