Friday, May 30, 2003

The Feast of St. Jeanne Darc
is today. There is information on her here. I would also recommend checking out the St. Joan of Arc Center. One of the best books on her I've come across is Joan of Arc: Her Story . I am rather fond of this picture of St. Jeanne .


St. Jeanne is my confirmation name patroness. I came as her to my very first All Saints Day Party, and I still have my "sword of St. Catherine" in the closet. ( I bought a plastic sword, and scratched five crosses into the blade.)

A few quotes, courtesy of the St. Joan of Arc Center....
Asked by the priests at Poitiers, who questioned her before she was permitted to set out, why God needed soldiers: "In the name of God! The soldiers will fight and God will give the victory!"

"In the name of God! I have not come to Poitiers to give signs but take me to Orleans and I shall show you signs for which I have been sent!"

Asked what language her Voices spoke: "They speak better French than you!" (This one has always made me chuckle, as I picture the look on the priest's face ! )

Joan's refusal to use a charm to heal her wound: "No friend, I cannot. I would rather die than do a thing which I know to be a sin."

Joan's request for surrender to the English commander Glasdale: "Classidas! Classidas! Yield, yield to the King of Heaven! You called me harlot, but I have great pity on your soul and for the souls of your men."

Asked at her trial if she was in God's grace: "If I am not, may God put me there, and if I am, may God so keep me! I should be the saddest creature in the world if I knew I was not in His grace."

And her final words...
"My Voices did come from God and everything that I have done was by God's order."

"Hold the crucifix up before my eyes so I may see it until I die."

"Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!"








1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here is another good site to visit to learn about Joan of Arc: Joan of Arc - MaidofHeaven.com

11:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home