Friday, May 16, 2003

The Feast of St. Brendan the Navigator
is today. There is information about him here.

Part of why I mention him here is because when I was young, I was fascinated by the writings of a gentleman named Tim Severin. After hearing the conventional wisdom that it was impossible for 6th century Irish monks to have reached the Americas, he built himself a curragh ( the type of leather boat St. Brendan would most probably have used), and proceeded to do it himself.

The other part is that the Professor was not only familiar with the St. Brendan story, but found it interesting enough to write a poem based upon it. I have not been able to find it in print, but from the descriptions I have read, it has St. Brendan visiting various islands, including one which bears some resemblance to Tol Eressëa.....



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home