Thursday, July 31, 2003

The Feast of St. Ignatius Loyola, Priest and Founder
is today. There is information on him here. Prayers for the Society of Jesus, that they may truly follow the example of their founder and their multiplicity of magnificent saints, would be most welcome. ( I am, alas, that it seems that in too many cases they are going in the wrong direction- but prayer is powerful ! )
St. Ignatius, was a friend of St. Philip Neri. St. Philip and his followers eagerly listened to the reports coming back from the early missionaries in India, and at one point thought he might be called to go to the East himself. However, he consulted a wise contemplative monk he knew, who advised "Rome is your India."
St. Philip did send various young men to St. Ignatius to try their vocations in the new order. St. Ignatius wryly remarked. " For the Society, Philip is like the church bell: he calls everyone else in, and stays outside himself ! "
They were canonized at the same ceremony in 1622, along with St. Francis Xavier, St. Teresa of Avila, and St. Isidore the Farmer.

"Anima Christi, sanctifica me.
Corpus Christi, salve me.
Sanguis Christi, inebria me.
Aqua lateris Christi, lava me.
Passio Christi, conforta me.
O bone Iesu, exaudi me.
Intra tua vulnera absconde me.
Ne permittas me separari a te.
Ab hoste maligno defende me.
In hora mortis meae voca me.
Et iube me venire ad te,
ut cum Sanctis tuis laudem te
in saecula saeculorum. Amen
."
- Attributed to St. Ignatius Loyola

Here is a somewhat free translation ...
"Soul of Christ, be my sanctification;
Body of Christ, be my salvation;
Blood of Christ, fill all my veins;
Water of Christ’s side, wash out my stains;
Passion of Christ, my comfort be;
O good Jesu, listen to me;
In thy wounds I fain would hide,
Ne’er to be parted from Thy side;
Guard me, should the foe assail me;
Call me when my life shall fail me;
Bid me come to Thee above,
With Thy saints to sing Thy love,
World without end. Amen."-
Venerable John Henry Newman, C.O.


It is also the feast of Blessed John Colombini . The life of Blessed Colombini deeply moved St. Philip and was favorite reading for the first generation of Oratorians.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home