Wednesday, August 06, 2003

Perhaps it was inevitable...
but it is still terribly sad.

Gay Bishop Wins in Episcopal Vote, Threatening Split .

I was slightly heartened to see that the local Episcopalian bishop had this to say : "This body willfully confirming the election of a person sexually active outside of holy matrimony has departed from the historic faith and order of the Church of Jesus Christ."- Robert Duncan, Episcopal Bishop of Pittsburgh.

There is commentary all over the Blogosphere, but I especially appreciate a post by the redoubtable Lane Core:
Suggested Reading for Episcopalians Troubled in Conscience

Mr. White posted some prayers for the intercession of Our Lady of Walsingham.

If any of my readers are in the situation referred to above, the following prayer may help:

Prayer for the Light of Truth

by Venerable John Henry Cardinal Newman, C.O.

I should like an enquirer to say continually:

O my God, I confess that Thou canst enlighten my darkness. I confess that Thou alone canst. I wish my darkness to be enlightened. I do not know whether Thou wilt: but that Thou canst and that I wish, are sufficient reasons for me to ask, what Thou at least hast not forbidden my asking. I hereby promise that by Thy grace which I am asking, I will embrace whatever I at length feel certain is the truth, if ever I come to be certain. And by Thy grace I will guard against all self-deceit which may lead me to take what nature would have, rather than what reason approves. Amen.



The Venerable sadly predicted in 1864 that the Anglican Church, tied as it is to the nation, would eventually sink to the nation's level. Here, the Episcopalians are not established, so instead they import American-style voting into doctrinal and moral issues- a procedure which seems to destroy respect for Scripture, Tradition, and morality even more quickly.







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home