Friday, September 19, 2003

Interesting posts ...
over at Summa Contra Mundum.
They remind me of something I read about C.S. Lewis. It seems someone (a student, probably), told him the old joke about the atheist's tombstone- "All dressed up and no place to go." Whereupon Lewis remarked, "I'll bet he wishes that were true now. "

One of the most absurd, chilling, and insulting things I have ever read was a statement I ran across in a book I was thumbing through at a bookstore. The author (who happened to be female) stated that while for some women an unborn child is a baby they cherish, for others 'it' is merely the uncomfortable symptoms of pregnancy and the worries of a 'possible child', and therefore they have the right to get rid of 'it.' She had the further nerve to state that seeing the unborn as, objectively, either human or not, was the sort of 'male thinking' that women have had the sense to transcend, as if abandoning logic was some sort of female badge of honor. What really got to me was the fact that various statements on the cover called the book 'feminist.' Isn't saying that women are more illogical than men the sort of thing only 'sexist Neanderthals' engage in ?
Apparently I'm still enslaved by 'male thinking', inasmuch as I believe that 2+2=4 and that the law of noncontradiction has not been repealed.
(End of rant. )

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home