Tuesday, May 11, 2004

May 11,1926....
was the day J.R.R. Tolkien met C.S. Lewis, at an English Faculty Tea held at Merton College, Oxford. While they did not hit it off immediately, the friendship that they later developed was to have profound spiritual and literary consequences.
"Lewis was a very impressionable man, and this was abetted by his great generosity and capacity for friendship. The unpayable debt I owe to him was not 'influence' as it is commonly understood, but sheer encouragement. He was for long my only audience. Only from him did I ever get the idea that my 'stuff' could be more than a private hobby. But for his interest and unceasing eagerness for more, I should never have brought the L. of the R. to a conclusion. " -J.R.R. Tolkien to Dick Plotz of the Tolkien Society of America, September 12, 1965

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home