Saturday, October 09, 2004

On this date in 1845...
Venerable John Henry Newman was received into the Catholic Church at the hands of Blessed Dominic Barberi, C.P., Priest. A thank-you to any who blogged about this anniversary, including Gerard Serafin, and most especially Lane Core, who is also celebrating the anniversary of his own reception into the Church today.

From the time that I became a Catholic, of course I have no further history of my religious opinions to narrate. In saying this, I do not mean to say that my mind has been idle, or that I have given up thinking on theological subjects; but that I have had no changes to record, and have had no anxiety of heart whatever. I have been in perfect peace and contentment. I never have had one doubt. I was not conscious to myself , on my conversion, of any difference of thought or of temper from what I had before. I was not conscious of firmer faith in the fundamental truths of revelation, or of more self-command; I had not more fervour; but it was like coming into port after a rough sea; and my happiness on that score remains to this day without interruption.

Venerable John Henry Newman, C.O., Apologia Pro Vita Sua




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home