Thursday, May 27, 2004

Music at the Commemoration of Our Founder, St. Philip Neri
Processional Hymn: "O God Beyond All Praising"
Offertory: "Cantate Domino"- Hans Leo Hassler (1564=1612)
Communion: "Ave Verum"- Edward Elgar (1857-1934)
Postcommunion: "Firmly I Believe and Truly"- Warwickshire Folk Tune, arranged by Ralph Vaughn Williams (1872-1958)
Recessional Hymn: "God the Omnipotent"

The words of the Postcommunion are from The Dream of Gerontius by Venerable John Henry Newman, C.O.
"Firmly I believe and truly
God is three, and God is One;
And I next acknowledge duly
Manhood taken by the Son.

And I trust and hope most fully
In that Manhood crucified;
And each thought and deed unruly
Do to death, as He has died.

Simply to His grace and wholly
Light and life and strength belong,
And I love, supremely, solely,
Him the holy, Him the strong.

And I hold in veneration,
For the love of Him alone,
Holy Church, as His creation,
And her teachings, as His own.

Adoration aye be given,
With and through the angelic host,
To the God of earth and heaven,
Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. "


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home