Thursday, September 16, 2004

A commenter...
over at Midwest Conservative Journal posted the following delighful verse by Phyllis McGinley.

The other day I chanced to meet
An angry man upon the street,
A man of wrath, a man of war,
A man who truculently bore
Upon his shoulder, like a lance,
A banner lettered TOLERANCE.

And when I asked him why he strode
Thus scowling down the human road,
Scowling, he answered "I am he
"That champions total liberty.
"Intolerance being, m'am, a state,
"No tolerant man can tolerate!"

"When I meet rogues," he said, "who choose
"To cherish oppositional views,
"Lady, like this, and in this manner,
"I lay about me with my banner
"Till they cry mercy, m'am!" His blows
Rained proudly on prospective foes.

Fearful, I turned and left him there,
Still muttering, as he thrashed the air,
"Let the intolerant beware!"





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home